How to save for a home loan deposit

How to save for a home loan deposit

July is National Savings month in South Africa, and First National Bank (FNB), one of the country’s largest banks, gives the following tips about home loan  saving:

•    Change the installment date to the day you receive your salary. As interest on home loans is charged daily, the earlier you reduce your balance, the less interest you end up paying in total.
This movement is very small on a monthly basis, but compound interest makes this small change valuable throughout the entire term of the loan and is a great way to save on the total interest paid.

•    Paying as little as a 10% additional payment per month into your bond could save approximately four years of repayments and R250 400 (about US$25 040) in interest on a R1m loan (US$100 000) over the life of the loan.

These calculations have been based on the current level of interest rates. The additional repayment is immediately set off against the capital value of the loan, thereby reducing interest paid and saving you in the long term.

Prospective home owners that save for a deposit are not only more likely to obtain a loan, but can also benefit from a better interest rate, which will save them considerable amounts over the term of their bond, the Johannesburg-based bank said, owned by First Rand Bank Limited, said this week.

“For many owners your home will be your biggest asset, so the more it can work for you and help you create wealth, the better. This starts as early as when considering buying a property and saving for a deposit,” Ewald Kellerman, head of sales at FNB home loans, said in a statement.

Around half of all new home loan applicants are for 100% loans, which means that the applicant does not have the intention of putting a deposit down, the bank said.

First time buyers are least likely to have a deposit available and they are increasing in prominence. The FNB 2013 Q2 Estate Agent Survey says that 22% of new buyers are first time home buyers.

However, putting down a deposit, even a minimal amount can greatly benefit a home buyer as people who demonstrate the ability to save are typically considered lower risk by the banks.
“Saving for and putting down a deposit on a home loan is a very good way of saving for the future,” Kellerman explained.

“There is no ‘right’ amount for a deposit, banks typically ask for anything from 10% to 20% deposit. However, if you are unable to afford such a high amount at the time, even 5% is better than no deposit at all.”

One should also take into account that there are many other costs to consider when buying property like transfer duty, registration and initiation fees.

“We find that many customers who have saved additional funds or have a surplus after selling their previous property still apply for a 100% bond with the view to deposit the additional funds after the bond is registered,” Kellerman said.

While depositing funds after registration will bring down the capital and reduce the amount of interest charged to the bond, it is not the most effective way to use your savings, it is far more beneficial to put down a deposit for a bond upfront.

New home owners need to realise that owning a home can be expensive in different ways.
“Rates, taxes and general maintenance on a larger free standing house add up quickly and can sometimes end up getting to the point where it is no longer affordable,” Kellerman added.

First time buyers seem to be much more interested in higher density units where some of the communal costs are shared while a number of existing owners are scaling down to save on the increasing running costs of a property.

“Many home owners scale down later on in life to access some of the capital saved in a property. This enables the funds to be reinvested somewhere else for better returns or help to top-up a retirement fund.

“Our 2013 Q2 Estate Agent survey estimates downscaling due of life stages make up 21% of all residential property sales.”

(Issued by FNB, final editing by Issa Sikiti da Silva)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, ,

12 Responses to How to save for a home loan deposit

1. stellakyes March 29, 2014 at 5:07 am #

HERE IS MY SUCCESS STORY:
    I was in a critical search of a genuine loan lending company were I can obtain a loan of $50,000.00 some lender’s that Came to me sheep clothing I never knew they where frauds until i was given the terms of their loan and i agreed eventually i was scammed they scammed me of my hard earn money up to four lender’s that scammed me the sum of $10,000.00 and i though
    that all is over that there can never be any other genuine lender until my Husband’s Friend Barbara Blue ford the general manager of Cot sat and cot sat company told me that there is a genuine lender that he obtained a loan of $70,000.00 At 2% interest rate From that makes him own a private business and a house of his own he Referred me to a Loan company Investment Email: [email protected] Where he obtained the loan of ($70,000.00 ) i told them how he referred me to them i applied for a loan of $50,000.00 after my application and i sent to them the useful information
    for them to process my loan after 3 hours i received a notification From their company that my loan has been approved and processed in the
    next 4hours my loan of $50,000.00 was transferred into my account. And I promised them for coming to my rescue i am going to spread the good news to the entire world ABOUT REV. BRADLEY LOAN FIRM IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD. [email protected] is their contact email And tell them i Jennifer referred you to them and your wish will be fulfilled… thanks
    Ohh! and i am going to obtain an Easter loan very soon.

2. Hwa Jurong May 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

Good Day !!!!!
         I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I loan money out to individuals in need of financial assistance.
    Do you have a bad credit or are you in need of money to pay bills?
    i want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
    *Horse Loans
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Mortgage
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.
         Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you’ll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
    security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
    be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail:
    Yours Sincerely,
    Hwa Jurong(MD).

3. hwajurong12 May 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

Good Day !!!!!
       I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I loan money out to individuals in need of financial assistance.
    Do you have a bad credit or are you in need of money to pay bills?
    i want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
    *Horse Loans
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Mortgage
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.
         Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you’ll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
    security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
    be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail: [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]
    Yours Sincerely,
    Hwa Jurong(MD).

4. hwajurong12 May 28, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

Good Day !!!!!
       I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I loan money out to individuals in need of financial assistance.
    Do you have a bad credit or are you in need of money to pay bills?
    i want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
    *Horse Loans
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Mortgage
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.
         Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you’ll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
    security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
    Yours Sincerely,
    Hwa Jurong(MD).

5. ChuaTeo July 17, 2014 at 7:09 am #

Good Day,
    I am Chua Teo
    (CEO) of Chua Teo Loans Firm, I’m a Reputable Money Lender who give out
    loans to Individuals & Companies in need of loan. Do you have a bad
    credit? Are you in need of money to pay bills or settle other debts? We
    will be glad to render you a loan service. We offer all kinds of loan at
    2% interest rate. We offer loan from $2,000 USD to $50,000,000 USD,
    duration of 1 to 20 years.
    Apply
    with us and get approved without stress or delay!
    We await your response if you are serious and interested, upon
    response, you’ll be mailed a Loan Application Form which you’ll have to
    fill and send back to us. Looking forward to hear from you, you can
    reach us via….
    Email: [email protected]

6. SteveBrown4 September 16, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

Hello everyone, My name is Mrs.
    Linda Frank and i am talking as the happiest person in the whole wild world
    today and i told myself that any lender that rescue my family from our poor
    situation, i will tell the name to the whole wild world and i am so happy to
    say that my family is back for good because i was in need a loan of $ 73,000
    USD to start my life all over as i am a single mum with 2 kids and the whole
    world seemed like it was hanging on me until i met the GOD sent loan lender
    that changed my life and that of my family, a GOD fearing lender, Mr. Steve of
    Steve Brown Loan Financial , he was the saviour GOD sent to rescue my family
    and at first i thought it was not going to be possible until i received my loan
    of $ 73,000 USD and i will advise anyone who is in genuine need of a loan to
    contact Mr. Steve Brown via email at. () OR ( ) because he
    is the most understanding and kind hearted lender.

7. johnemmanuelloanfirm September 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm #

Hello, Are you from Europe, Canada, Asia, America, Africa or England searching for a very Genuine Loan? At an affordable interest rate? Processed within 2 t0 4 working days. Have you been turned down constantly by your Banks and other financial institutions? Are you blacklisted or has low credit rate? Easy Loans and Financial consultant is here to make loan easy for you. Urgently contact us today at  (or)  for more information.

8. Lee Jordan April 9, 2015 at 8:00 pm #

I am Lee Jordan by name am from USA i have been looking for a loan for five months now all lender have fail to help me due to the fact that i have a bad credit score i came to this site and i saw a testimony which was made by some one in this site that Mr Raj Thomas offer loans to people with bad credit i decided to give it a try to my greatest surprise i was approved for a loan of $95,000.00 with a low inteterest rate of 2% am a happy man today and i promise my self that i will keep posting about this company and the genorocity they have done in my life if not for this company only God know where i would have been today have you been looking for loan and you have been turned down i would advice you to also try this company and be free from debts. below is thier Email ([email protected])

9. julietquin65 April 15, 2015 at 9:16 am #

Hello Everybody,
    My
    name is Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today?
    and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor
    situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he
    gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of
    $30,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids
    I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a
    loan of $30,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in
    need of loan and you will pay back the loan please
    contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Mr.Lim Koh via email: ([email protected])

10. RajThomas2 April 17, 2015 at 9:45 am #

Good day Loan Seekers here comes a Solution for your financial problems, We are a fully registered and certified loan firm, that offers secured and unsecured loans to individuals and companies at a very low interest rate of 2%. We offer long and short term loans.Our company has recorded a lot of breakthroughs in the provision of first class financial services to our clients, especially in the area of Loan syndication and capital provision for individuals and companies. We have brought ailing industries back to life and we back good business ideas by providing funds for their up start. We have a network of Investors that are willing to provide funds of whatever amount to individuals and organizations to start business and operations.We are a group of energetic and experienced loan professionals with thorough knowledge of financial markets.In general we offer mortgages, home loans business loans and bad credit loans commercial loans, start-up- working capital loans, construction loans ,car loans, hotel loans, are you in need of any type of loan why don’t you try Mr Raj Thomas and be free from financial problem Our interest rate is 2% per annual repaid, our loan takes a maximum of 24 working hours,to get to all approved customers across the globe.You can contact us via Email: ([email protected])

11. AnthonyLucas June 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm #

Good day Loan Seekers here comes a Solution for your financial problems, We are a fully registered and certified loan firm, that offers secured and unsecured loans to individuals and companies at a very low interest rate of 2%. We offer long and short term loans.Our company has recorded a lot of breakthroughs in the provision of first class financial services to our clients, especially in the area of Loan syndication and capital provision for individuals and companies. We have brought ailing industries back to life and we back good business ideas by providing funds for their up start. We have a network of Investors that are willing to provide funds of whatever amount to individuals and organizations to start business and operations.We are a group of energetic and experienced loan professionals with thorough knowledge of financial markets.In general we offer mortgages, home loans business loans and bad credit loans commercial loans, start-up- working capital loans, construction loans ,car loans, hotel loans, are you in need of any type of loan why don’t you try Mr. Anthony Lucas and be free from financial bondage Our interest rate is 2% per annual repaid, our loan takes a maximum of 24 working hours,to get to all approved customers across the globe.You can contact us via Email: ([email protected])

12. RobertJack1 June 28, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

Hello,
    Here comes an Affordable loan that will change your life for ever, I am Dr. Robert Jack a certified loan lender, I offer loan to individual and public sector that are in need of financial Assistance in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile. Our company has recorded a lot of breakthroughs in the provision of first class financial services to our clients, especially in the area of Loan syndication and capital provision for individuals and companies. We have brought ailing industries back to life and we back good business ideas by providing funds for their up start. We have a network of Investors that are willing to provide funds of whatever amount to individuals and organizations to start business and operations.i want you to understand the fact that i Dr. Robert Jack is out to help the less financial privilege get back on track by providing all type of loans to them (E.G) mortgages, home loans business loans and bad credit loans commercial loans, start-up- working capital loans, construction loans ,car loans, hotel loans,and student loans what are you waiting for asap why don’t you try Dr. Robert Jack Loan home and be free from debts any interested client should contact me asap ([email protected])