The Gauteng Dance Manyano’s Best of the Regions 2013 Festival will the Soweto Theatre in Johannesburg down to its knees, with in the agenda various local dance styles ranging from Pantsula, Township dance, Kofifi to traditional Zulu and Tswana dance.
The date is 8-9 March, and the main sponsor is none other than the National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund (NLDTF), the organisers said this week, adding that the cream of the crop in the dance fraternity will be represented at the festival.
Expect the unexpected at the Best of the Regions Festival as all 12 groups from the six regions are set to line their best dancers who will undoubtedly display their dance wizardry and technical skills.
- These groups are: Sedibeng’s Vaal Important Pantsula and Tshwelopele Art Production
- West Rand’s Via Volcano and Esikangwane Dance and Theatre Creation
- Johannesburg’s African Theatre and Dance Company and Real Actions Productions
- Soweto’s Dora’s Dancers and Entertainment and Sinokhanyo Dance Theatre
- Tshwane’s Majaneng Cultural Group and Enlightement Club, and
- Ekurhuleni’s Thembisa Revolution and the Inhle Lento Youth Club.
GDM has been credited for having conceptualised community based-initiatives such as the Soweto Carnival, Joburg Carnival, Motjeko Dance Festivals, Gauteng Dance Showcases, Dance Manyano Awards, Dance Manyano Season, Dance at the Lake Festival and now, the Best of the Regions Festival.
“In our 12th year of existence, we keep on striving for the transformation of all South African dance form. But most importantly, our proven strength at GDM is nurturing the hidden talent that is so abundant in the remote and dusty rural locations throughout Gauteng,” said Jimmy ka Notuku, Gauteng Dance Manyano’s Managing Director.
*Photo by John Hogg.